Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Dresser in the office?

My M-I-L gave me a dresser to use in my daughter's room.  After stripping the paint, painting it white, and applying simple wall decals, I had a pretty cute dresser, but the drawers were way too small and could barely hold any teeny-tiny onesies.  Ugh.

My office is in need of some extra storage (since my Craigslist desks don't have any drawers) so I decided to paint the dresser blue to match the filing cabinet.  I took off the flowers and realized the paint was pretty bumpy, since the wood used on the drawer-fronts was not smooth.  If I had been smart, I would have used wood filler after stripping the paint, but I figured I was using decals anyway, so I would just cover the bumps.  This taught me never to cut corners, because now I had a problem on my hands: strip the paint again or attempt to hide the problems?

The helpful guy at the paint store told me I would just need to put a few extra coats of paint on the drawers to cover up the irregularities, but I decided to try my hand at stenciling.  First, I searched the web for a great design.  I found this print from Trina Turk for Schumacher, which I love particularly because it's uneven and quirky.  I printed out the design, cut it, traced it onto cardboard, and then cut that out with an exacto knife. 





Unfortunately, the stencil was messy because the original print has a fuzzy design.  My first try looked like this:
I really love the print, but when I comes to stenciling, I think you need something with cleaner lines. 


I found this trellis stencil online.  This time, I just cut out the stencil and made a pencil outline on the drawer, which I filled in with blue paint. 

This pattern might have worked, but it was too big!  I finally decided to just load on the paint and see if it would cover up the dresser's imperfections.  Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of time.  I need to actually WORK in this office.  I painted it all blue to match the filing cabinet, and it was full of papers just a few hours later.  I still have to add drawer pulls and decide what color to paint the legs.  I'd love to add SOME excitement to this piece.  Any ideas?


Cost: $0!

No comments:

Post a Comment